Monday, July 9, 2012

new project

I've decided to try some of the motifs from the Guipure d'Irlande books by Madame Hardouin.
The Smithsonian owns a copy of the books (apparently a hardbound version containing 6 volumes) and it's been added to the Internet Archive. You can download or view it here.

The thing is, the books are in French and I don't speak a word of it. Some of the ladies in the Irish Crochet group on Ravelry have translated a few of the motifs to English, which is great. For most of the motifs, though, I can't find anything in English. So, it'll be slow, but I'm going to try them, translating as I go using online tools, starting with the simplest and moving on from there. As I work each one out, I'll try to post a photo of my motif with my translation.

I'm no expert at (a) French, (b) Irish Crochet or (c) writing patterns, so my "translations" are probably more like loose interpretations. If anyone does speak French (or IC or "pattern") and notices something I left out or did wrong, I'd be grateful if you'd let me know so I can fix it. Hopefully I'll get better as I go along.

Here's my first. I don't know if there's a different, more flowery meaning for this word in French, but I can't find any, so I present "The Propeller."(!) 

 
For the motif pictured I used:
No 20 thread
No 10 padding cord (pc)
1.10mm hook 

Pattern uses US terminology










Motif No. 1 - L'helice

Wrap the pc around the end of your hook, pencil, whatever, twice.
Make 35 dc in the ring, ss to close ring, turn.
First arm 
On the pc alone, make 1sc, 20 dc, 2 sc,
pull gently on pc to bend the arm, turn.
(At this point you might want to compare your work to the photo to make sure the arm is bending in the right direction.)
Skip 2 sc, and working in back loops only,
1sc in each of 20 dc, 1 sc in sc.
Make 5 sc in next 5 dc of ring (working through both loops), turn.
Second arm 
*On pc alone, make 1sc, 30 dc, 2 sc,
pull gently on the pc to create an arc,
Join to 14th sc of first arm (counting from ring), turn.
Skip 2 sc, working in back loops only,
1sc in each of 20 dc, 1 sc in sc.
Make 5 sc in next 5 dc of ring (working through both loops of stitch).*
Repeat * through * 4 more times.
Stem
On pc alone, make 1sc, 40 dc, 2 sc, turn.
Skip 2 sc, 1 sc in each of 40 dc, 1 sc in sc.
Make 5 sc in next 5 dc of ring.
Secure pc to back of work and cut.

No comments:

Post a Comment